One of the riskiest gifts to give your girlfriend, yet potentially very rewarding, is lingerie. Sexy underthings can lead to sexy times in the bedroom if given correctly, but you probably already know that clothes shopping for most women is a risky business.
The most important things to get right are the size, color, and style. If you buy her something too big or small, she obviously won’t wear it and you may even offend her and end up in the doghouse for a few days! The wrong color will make her cringe, and she won’t wear a style that makes her feel self-conscious or unsexy.
In order to avoid a size mishap or having your gift shown to her girlfriends as joke fodder, make sure you know what you’re looking for before you walk into the store. What you’d like to see her in isn’t necessarily what she wants, and buying your girlfriend lingerie is about making her feel sexy first and foremost.
Do your research
To find out her size, look in her underwear drawer at an appropriate moment, and without rummaging, or she’ll notice and think of you as amusingly creepy at best. Check the size on both her bras (if she wears them) and underwear, as they are different. Underwear usually comes in letter sizes from XXS to 3X or more or number sizes from 0 to 18 or more. Make sure you check a few of her favorite pairs, as she might be keeping around some old pairs that don’t fit very well. Bras usually come in size 28AA to 38DD, and you’ll need both the number (for a proper fit around the ribcage) and letter (for a proper cup size).
Next, think about your girlfriend’s favorite colors. You probably already know which colors she’d never wear (some women hate pink and girly colors, and others wouldn’t be caught dead in anything they think is unfeminine), and whether she wears animal prints and patterns or plain colors. Your gift should stick to the same basic color range as her existing wardrobe, as it will probably be a color she looks good in. (The color shade should be opposite her skin tone; lighter-skinned women usually look better in darker shades and vice-versa.)
The style is the last important thing to research before you buy. If she has worn lingerie with you before, you will already have some idea what she likes to wear, but if she hasn’t, you should stick to “safer” choices like lace and silk lingerie rather than risk shock and horror at a leather or latex gift! If she likes wearing thongs, buy your girlfriend lingerie in this style, but if she only ever wears bikini-cut underwear, consider lingerie that resembles a style your girlfriend already wears.
Shop at the right places
It’s always a good idea to stay away from cheap sex stores and look for classier, high-end lingerie stores when buying your girlfriend lingerie. A lot of shady places sell badly-cut or less expensive underwear, which may seem like a good thing but ultimately will not pay off. Poor-quality underwear simply doesn’t flatter your girlfriend’s body the same as a higher-end product, and this will affect her self-confidence.
Look for a store with sales associates who are willing to help you, and be prepared to adopt your best clueless look and seek one out. Most of the time, as long as you aren’t leering, people will understand quickly that men are there buying a gift and will be remarkably willing to help out.
A female employee will often be your best source of help when buying a woman lingerie! If you’re forgetful, write down the numbers you researched earlier (the underwear size and bra size) and bring them along. Help the sales associate by providing a little feedback about her body type and preferred style and colors.
General lingerie-shopping guidelines
* Until you’re familiar with the type of lingerie your girlfriend likes, stick to the salesperson’s recommendations and match the styles you buy to what she already wears.
* Make sure she likes lingerie! If she usually makes scathing remarks about women who wear sexy underwear and only wears billowy white undergarments, lingerie may not go over well.
* Avoid slogans and sayings – they often look tacky. Ornamentation like bells and fancy straps is usually fine, but remember that she probably won’t wear these lingerie pieces daily.
* Look at negligees, baby-dolls, garters, and other pieces that aren’t just a bra or underwear. Larger girls in particular appreciate underwear that isn’t tiny!
* Keep the receipt until you’re sure she likes it. If she doesn’t, don’t take it hard – suggest that you go together to exchange it for something she does like, which is a perfect chance to learn her tastes.
* If you’re getting more than one outfit, consider getting her one or two bras and a few pairs of underwear to match each bra. Women wear their underwear once and bras more than once, so you get to see her in more matching sets and she gets more use out of the bra.
Shopping for lingerie for your girlfriend can be a daunting endeavor at first, but if you follow these guidelines, you will avoid offending her and will definitely earn bonus points with her for trying. You may even get it just right and find yourself rewarded each time she wears your gift! This possibility makes the risk of figuring out how to buy your girlfriend lingerie worth it for even the most anxious guy.